Wednesday, July 8, 2015

4th of July

So I felt pretty happy to be an American on Saturday. For lunch we had hamburgers, fries, and pie. They decorated the cafeteria with red, white, and blue banners and flags. Everyone was excited to have hamburgers. Since I have started to put lime on everything, I put lime on my burger. I am envious of you all going to the beach. That is funny that you brought up sayings because there are times when I want to say "I think the bigger question is..." There was one time where a Hermana in my district was talking to her companion and she said "What word did I want to know?" and I started thinking, "I think the bigger question is, what word DIDN'T you want to know?"


We have not gone proselyting yet, but we will go this Saturday. We only go one time in the CCM. Yesterday we had to give a lesson to another teacher where he was a new investigator and then he gave us feedback. It was kind of stressful, but we did our best. So we are teaching both our teachers about the Word of Wisdom in the investigator lessons, and one of them is pretending to have a coffee addiction. The day after we committed him to give up coffee we followed up, and he was like, "Yeah, I'm trying, I usually drink about 8-9 cups a day, but yesterday I only drank 7." We had to show disappointment, but I had a little bit of a hard time not cracking a smile. Luckily Elder Checketts was able to talk to him with a straight face. Both of my teachers are great. I have to say, I am pretty happy that I was not assigned to a Lima mission. We were in charge of leading a new group of missionaries to the temple and the stores today. I am happy that my companions knew what they were doing, because it really stressed me out. It took a while before we could catch a bus, and then we had to split and take two buses. The bus I was on was WAY crowded. Elder Cornilles and I were pressed up against each other. It was pretty much my worst nightmare, but I made it to the temple. It also stresses me out when we cross the streets because pedestrians do not have the right of way here. Walking in New York looks like nothing compared to this. I am pretty excited for the field for that reason and I am also excited to meet the people of Huancayo.
 


That's cool that Stephen got called to Japan. I can imagine how excited he is. I bet he will do great! Our companionship is doing pretty well. We actually have roommates now. One is a Lima native who is visa waiting to go to Spain. He learned a bit of English when he went to study in London. His companion is an American of Hispanic descent and he speaks pretty fluent Spanish. They are both pretty nice. I have thought that it is weird that David will have graduated and Grace will be in college by the time I get back. I like the food here, and I like the views of the mountains and the palm trees. I sleep on the top bunk in my room and when I climb up and look out the window, the view looks pretty cool with the lights from the city. The weather is pretty good here. I bought a little Spanish Himnos today at the distribution center. Sometimes people will joke and call me Elder Himnos. They do say Elder Eemaas here, and sometimes when we practice contacting, I introduce myself just because it flows better.


That is great that you are all doing well and having a good time! Congratulations to Grace! I'll have to hear more about what's going on with Allison and David. The Spanish is starting to get better. One of our teachers told our companionship that he can tell we are improving. That made us feel pretty good. I also had to give the closing prayer in Spanish after a fireside on Sunday. We are learning more about how to plan lessons, and I feel that that has helped us out a lot. That is pretty interesting about Thomas Knowlton. It looks like he was fighting so that his descendents could join the church!  Thanks for your prayers. I love you.
 
Love,
Elder Brian Hymas

No comments:

Post a Comment